If accounting is up on your agenda, you might be more than familiar with the feasibility of QuickBooks. Considered to be one of the easiest solutions to basic accounting transactions, the software is quite excellent.
The much-acclaimed digital hack claims to give you the taste of a full-fledged accounting system with all the peculiarities intact, which had us evaluating the top alternatives to QuickBooks. In fact, the software is growing the notoriety of replacing even Microsoft Excel. Now that is what raises some red flags in the arena.
Why look for an alternative?
The feasibility offered by QuickBooks is hands-down one of the simplest ways to eradicate accounting errors and keep your records updated. Still, with claims as extensive as replacing maestros like MS Excel, we put the software to the test against some other contenders and came up with our top favorites. While the former might provide you with the simplest hacks to accounting, it still has its drawbacks.
Be it the added features, the better accessibility, or just the interface, we have evaluated a handful of top software programs to cater to you with better features at a better price tag.
In our carefully curated list of the best platforms available, we have evaluated some major findings that will help you compare better programs against QuickBooks.
Ultimately, the choice is all yours to settle down with, but if cost-effectiveness is what you are keen on, stay put as we roll out our top picks for alternatives to QuickBooks.
The first in the line of our top alternatives to QuickBooks is none other but the award-winning wizard itself. Freshbooks. Top of the line regarding cloud apps, the software has taken the market by storm with its feasibility and user-friendly interface. QuickBooks has simplified complex accounting procedures into something far easier, and with easy access to the data saved on the cloud, the accessibility aspect gets a 5-star rating from us.
The application gives you the ease of processing transactions timely as the order-to-collect aspect takes effect through just one platform, updating the following entries across multiple ledgers. Compatible with PayPal, Google Checkout, and more, FreshBooks sorts out all the aspects of transactions in one go. Transparency and security are key features of this one. Apart from that, the free-trial version adds up to the perks, applying a top pick among the rest.
The brand took it a step further this time around, introducing the Android and iOS versions, and unlike other applications, the mobile applications, too, rendered the same consistent data processing. The application allows you to take photos of the receipts, which makes record keeping hit another level of feasibility.
- FreshBooks endorses a user-friendly interface that lets the user process data smoothly.
- Has a smart customization feature that can be programed to send alerts for payments and more.
- FreshBooks allows the user to customize the workflow of transactions, manipulate expense rates, and even white labeling.
- FreshBooks gives you a free trial version and a premium plan starting fro $15.
Built to serve smaller enterprises, Sage Business Cloud Accounting has gained momentum among sole traders looking for some basic accounting record keeping. Sage is a cloud application that provides you with a lot more than just the basics.
The platform features audit trails and transaction tracking perks, a graphical representation of a business’ liquidity, its financial statements, profitability, and more. The added perks of setting reminders on pending transactions and tasks just add to the feasibility the application provides its users.
With easy access and connectivity, the platform supplements collaborations with consultants, letting you rest easy with the technicalities. It’s a smart application that sorts out most of the reconciliations through its accountant access tool. The interface is what makes up for most of its claim to fame. It looks basic while aiding the user with versatile solutions to basic accounting transactions.
The cloud feature lets you gain access to crucial data anytime, anywhere. It has a free trial version to try out, which makes the platform a verified application. Security with Sage is top of the line. The easy access by the consultants and other bodies allows users to have their entries double-checked in case of any ambiguities that may go unnoticed otherwise.
- Sage Business Cloud Accounting lets you access the database from several devices.
- The application endorses a user-friendly interface making the data entry procedure a lot easier.
- Covers up most of the key features small business enterprises may need
- Priced at $29.08 per month for Pro accounting, the software has smart plans dedicated to the particular services it provides.
3. Zoho Books
Endorsing an easy-to-use interface; Zoho Books is a better alternative to QuickBooks due to its in-depth approach to processing invoices. With the quick automation, Zoho Books lets the user stay focused on daily transactions, with fuss-free entries that update connected ledgers in one go. The application is the go-to for users looking for a detailed outcome.
The software aids the user with an array of options derived out of the data it processes. The feature is something exclusive to Zoho Books, in particular, letting it take the lead in the domain. The software does not lag nor compromise security. It enables the accountant to stay updated on everything that goes into the entry of a single transaction.
The database is sufficient to supplement each step that goes into processing an accounting transaction, from automated payment requests to the debtors to asset management. It even aids accountants with tools that evaluate the profitability of a business. The automated Cash Flow Statements integrated with the Financial Statements are saver as well.
- Zoho is one of the few databases that makes use of the visual effects in an accounting database. The graphical representation of the data is a keen feature that aids management with easy access to month-ending results.
- The program features thorough documentation like consolidated financial statements.
- The standard ZohoBooks plan retails at just $12 per Organization/Month, billed annually.
The automation feature is what sets Plooto apart from something like QuickBooks. Workflows are seamless, and the payment options supported by the platform, even with cross-border currencies, are what set it apart from the lot. The added feature of recurring payments and the Pre-Authorized Debit agreement perk adds up to the pros of the software as it enables the end-user to enjoy fast and easy payments.
Plooto is a platform that aids you with an exclusive debit or credit payment feature with foolproof security, aiding the client with the extra peace of mind when Payables are in question. Apart from all that, Plooto works just as efficiently with the Accounts Receivables process.
The program delivers a user-friendly interface with tools that make the whole process a lot easier and more prompt. Automated payment requests are a charm making Plooto one of the best accounting platforms available.
- Plooto has a smart Pre-Authorized Debit feature that aids in a seamless payment process with customization as an added perk.
- The payment approvals are customizable, harnessing the end-user with an added bit of security with the payments.
- Creditors don’t have to sign up to Plooto to receive their dues.
- Priced at $25, Plooto has a set of packages based on location and added features.
5. NetSuite ERP
NetSuite ERP is well-suited to growing businesses aiding the management in several domains. The application merges different operations rendering the user automated upgrades across integrated ledgers, saving a lot of time and effort. With the key feature of automated and streamlined upgrades, the software occupies the top second slot in our list. The tool is not just the hack to basic accounting entries, but is in fact, a complete solution to sustaining an enterprise.
That’s not all. Another innovative feature endorsed by the platform, NetSuite ERP, is compatible with the vendor’s CRM systems, eCommerce programs, and more. If that wasn’t enough, the software gives you a free hand at connecting with third-party platforms like Epay and Bronto as well.
Another innovative feature endorsed by the platform, NetSuite ERP, is compatible with the vendor’s CRM systems, eCommerce programs, and more. If that wasn’t enough, the software gives you a free hand at connecting with third-party platforms like Epay, Bronto as well. The system plans out your entire business operations, from asset management to purchasing, all in one go.
- A versatile application that aids the higher management in complicated tasks such as managing creditors, fixed assets, and the procurement of inventory.
- NetSuite ERP is developed to serve larger enterprises.
- Administers a streamlined approach integrating several aspects of a business in one suite.
- Priced at $99 per user per month.
An accounting platform in the name, Tipalti offers you a lot more than just that. Data processing with Tipalti begins at a global scale, with its compatibility reaching myriad platforms. In short, users can process cross-border transactions in one go with complete control over the audit trails. The software is an upgrade to QuickBooks as it reconciles each entry in the relevant ledgers simultaneously.
Apart from the conventional invoice processing and instant payment reconciliation, the application supports a payment risk management feature as well. Security with Tipalti takes the lead among the rest. Your data will remain safe while your ledgers will stay updated seamlessly. Compatible with PayPal, ACH, direct debits, and even local bank transfers, the software endorses 120 currencies making it one of the most versatile and inclusive platforms available.
Tipalti is easily one of the bleeding-edge innovations in enterprise management systems available, but what makes it take the lead is the smart risk control feature. The KPMG-certified and FATCA-compliant application does not just tackle accounting procedures; it also provides compliance with national and international taxation requirements.
- The software endorses better connectivity through its smart API feature, allowing the user to connect the database with other applications enabling a streamlined accounting process.
- Tipalti has better payment processing than FreshBooks.
- The customizable interface makes it a lot easier to run the application.
- The standard package is priced at $149 per month.
An emerging leader in the arena, Deskera is an accounting suite that lets you not just configure the daily sales and purchase transactions. but also aids the accountants in accessing previous data that may aid in better bookkeeping. The OCR feature in the application lets Deskera compete to the top with bleeding-edge technology.
Deskera is a particularly smart application that lets the user connect to a whopping 10,000 banks regarding bank reconciliations. What’s more, is that the application recognizes over 110 currencies and even generates your forex gains and losses.
The application gives a free hand to the user, letting them manage the workflow the way they want to with the versatile accounting suites. It also lets the bookkeepers stay on track with the finances as Deskera even generates business reports for a given period. The robust accounting database comes with all an accountant may be looking for, with audit trails to even inventory management.
- Features OCR abilities, removing the need for manual entry.
- Configures your entire business workflow, with added features of management of stock, transfers, and adjustments.
- Has powerful security with its audit trail feature.
- Deskera is priced at $9 per month for the standard package.
A streamlined database offering detailed solutions to daily accounting transactions. Docuphase serves as a fine alternative to QuickBooks. Fully automated and easy to use, the application ensures complete security.
The superficial database is advanced in a way it saves paper invoices and backs them up. This feature helps make sure total backup in a way, and the user does not miss out on a single clause in the process. That’s not all. The added feature of a search engine offers exactly what you are looking for in a fairly quick and easy platform for accounting.
What’s more is that the software helps you eradicate the turmoil of manual data entry as well, taking the lead at QuickBooks. Once the user scans a document, be it an invoice or a receipt, the Optical Character Recognition feature in DocuPhase initiates the auto-read process. The feature reads the data on the scanned document and converts it into text that is recognized by the database.
Apart from that, the platform offers a lot more versatility with its forms, making it a top pick for the ones looking for a freehand at data processing software. The workflow is customizable, so the user does not feel like they are being dictated by software.
- The application is an all-rounder when it comes to enterprise management software with its smart document management system that allows the user to save documents as well.
- DocuPhase has a top-of-the-line OCR feature that eliminates the need for manual data entry.
- The database is fully automated which aids the management in saving time.
- The standard package is priced at $0.55.
The application has gained its claim to fame among IT, accounting, and even law firms. The software is now endorsed by engineering organizations and marketing firms for its incredible flexibility. The highlight of the database is its bleeding-edge OCR feature. It reads the scans and converts them into text that the software interprets, removing the need for manual data entry.
Providing the user with the feasibility of a cloud-based database; BigTime is not just in the name. The platform provides users with in-depth services regarding accounting for daily transactions, tracking invoices, and even expenses. The software is targeted towards established organizations, providing professionals with a foolproof plan of action with step-by-step data entry. BigTime enables a streamlined approach towards each process, making financial reporting a lot easier.
The workflow for an organization is bound to improve with BigTime, owing to its extraordinary features. BigTime aids in financial reporting as well, letting the management higher up the hierarchy make easier comparisons against previous periods.
- Features keen management features that aid the management in better decision-making.
- The application endorses DCAA-compliant timekeeping.
- The software is a lot more affordable than most ERP systems.
- The standard plan is priced at $10.
A powerful database that took the markets by storm, Trodogram is a cloud-based platform that is built to sustain automatic purchasing and asset management. The software can process a large amount of data, making it a top choice for larger organizations.
From automated RFQs to automated supplier negotiations, the platform tackles a vast array of processes that act as a hurdle in the daily running of a business. AP purchasing, POs, and consignment tracking are just a few of the features Tradogram renders.
It saves time and effort, along with costs. Tradogram is specially designed to aid the user with a streamlined approach that automatically updates transactions in the relevant ledgers connected to a single transaction. In short, the user gets to save time while Tradogram gets down to business, ensuring a thorough application of workflow, security, and efficiency.
- Tradogram takes the concept of an ERP system beyond just the basic accounting aspects with its keen six features, namely purchase-to-pay, spend analysis, project management, creditors management, procurement management, and strategic sourcing.
- The software updates its users with timely reports on transactions, aiding in better decision-making.
- The cloud feature enables better connectivity and security.
- Tradogram is priced at $18 per user, per month.
Again, appealing to the user with its basic interface, Xero is one of the pioneers in the industry when it comes to an application with an all-in-one motto. Xero is not just built to process accounting entries. It is developed to help businesses make better decisions and stay ahead of their targets for financial gains.
The application might seem like a basic tool for small enterprises, but it is in fact, developed to serve businesses of every scale with smart plans designed for each different category. Bookkeepers can gain access to past data in a fast and easy way, aiding them in month-end comparisons. The automation feature allows bookkeepers to dispatch invoices as soon as the transaction takes effect in real-time. In short, the application helps the user save time and increase workflow.
With something basic to begin with, who would have thought an application like Xero would endorse an OCR feature as well? Well, it does. Xero is a smart app that allows automatic data capture of bills and payments, saving the user from the tiresome manual entries. Not just that, the application even helps minimize the risk of errors, something quite common with manual data entry.
- A fuss-free interface that allows easy data processing and improved workflow.
- Xero is compatible with over 800 apps, allowing a seamless procedure with all its features.
- Xero starts a basic plan for $32 USD per month for the first 3 months. The price increases after the 3 months making the application rank in the pricier category.
Opting for the right accounting application is a decision that is based on a user’s actual needs. With the advent of countless databases that tackle several aspects of a business, the cost does play its role in the decision.
For startups, accounting software that just aids in data entry should be sufficient. In case running a well-established firm is in question, a better system that will cost a little more than QuickBooks is a wiser choice.
A complete suite of features that include the feasibility of a cloud, Optical Character Recognition, streamlined processes, and graphical representations are the key features to look for when opting for advanced enterprise management software. Apart from that, paying attention to the security of data is necessary.
We would recommend trying out trial versions of all the alternatives to QuickBooks listed above before deciding upon a product for sure.