They say: time is money.
Yet most of us don’t keep any track of our time. This leads to countless hours of procrastination followed by a sudden burst of anxiety as you have not completed your critical objectives and the day is already about to end.
If this is the case with you, you are definitely not alone.
In fact, there was a time when I was unable to write even 50 words per day for my agriculture blog.
Just like anyone else, I had that fear of getting started until I found a life-saving technique popularly known as Timeboxing, which completely pushed my life in a positive direction.
TimeBoxing is the process of blocking your time for a certain period in advance to complete a specific goal, and after that period gets over, you can move towards another task.
But during the timeboxed task, you should create a distraction-free environment so that you can focus solely on the task that you need to complete.
Timeboxing is so useful that even busy entrepreneurs like Elon Musk use it daily to maximize their productivity and minimize time wastage.
So why shouldn’t you and I benefit from timeboxing too?
This is where timeboxing tools and apps come into the picture.
Without wasting any more time, let’s discuss how these phenomenal tools can help you get your hardest things done in the most efficient manner.
Why Use TimeBoxing Technique?
Let’s face it:
They may teach you the important physics concepts, tallying balance sheets, analyzing data in Excel, etc, in school.
But one invaluable soft skill that almost no school/college teaches is time management skill. If you master managing your time, you are insanely unbeatable.
But doing it the right way requires you to follow the correct path and build systems that make your work easy.
Timeboxing tools specifically help us create a system planned for our day so that we can focus on what’s important.
It very well aligns with one of the Marcus Aurelius philosophies. He once preached that you should keep asking yourself the following question “Is this essential?”
And once you find the essential activities in your typical day, you can let Timeboxing do its magic.
Timeboxing, in short, is useful for the following reasons:
- Helps in avoiding uncertainties and eventually reduces anxiety.
- It gets you started even with highly monotonous task.
- Aids you to get into the flow state quickly.
- Helps you double down on the essentials and cut off the inessential.
With that out of the way, let’s deep dive into 12 amazing timeboxing tools you can use to transform your laziness into your superpower.
Akiflow has a week free trial. Then you can upgrade to their paid plan that costs $15/month.
Clockify is a software that helps individuals and businesses track time and manage projects. It has everything needed to track time and create timesheets.
Clockify makes time tracking simple with an intuitive timer that allows you to track work and break hours in real-time.
The timer can be started and stopped as needed, eliminating guesswork when logging hours.
You can assign tracked time to customizable projects and tasks, getting detailed insights into where time is spent.
The weekly timesheet view provides an efficient way to enter and review time data. You can quickly log hours for each day and have it calculate totals for the week automatically.
The timesheets integrate with the timer data for comprehensive tracking.
Robust reporting and analytics give crucial insights into user and team productivity. Charts and graphs visualize time spent on tasks, projects, and clients.
Clockify enhances team management with features like schedules, time-off tracking, and approvals.
Managers can assign shifts, leave, and overtime using the schedule. Timesheets can be submitted to managers for review and approval before billing clients.
- Intuitive timer for real-time tracking
- Weekly timesheets for logging hours
- Activity dashboard to see who works on what
- Powerful reports and analytics
- Schedules for managing shifts and time off
- Intuitive and easy to use interface
- Comprehensive time tracking with timer, timesheets, calendar
- Team management capabilities
- Limited customization compared to premium tools
- Can’t track multiple timers simultaneously
- Steeper learning curve than simple stopwatch-style apps
- GetApp: 4.7/5
- G2: 4.5/5
- TrustRadius: 8.5/10
Clockify has a free plan and a 7-day free trial for a paid plan. The basic plan starts at $4.99 per month. Additionally, there are three more paid plan options to choose from:
- Standard ($6.99 per month)
- Pro ($9.99 per month)
- Enterprise ($14.99 per month)
TimeHero is a project management tool that helps you get more done in less time. It’s perfect for busy people who need to manage their time better.
TimeHero is simple and easy to use. You can create tasks and projects, set deadlines, and track your progress. TimeHero will help you stay on track and get things done.
They have 3 separate tabs for the plan, work, and reports. You can connect Gmail and Google Calendar to your TimeHero account to make sure you’re always on top of your game.
Additionally, you can also integrate Slack for team communication and get real-time updates on your project’s progress.
They also come with a productive time tracker (with timesheets) so you can see where you’re spending your time and how you can optimize your workflow.
Some of the other cool TimeHero features include – plan forecast, risk detection, team management, and more. What’s more, you can also add recurring tasks and projects so you never have to worry about forgetting something important.
Lastly, TimeHero also comes with workflow templates so you can easily get started with your project management.
- Simple and easy to use
- Get real-time updates on your project’s progress
- Time tracker
- Recurring tasks and projects
- Workflow templates
- Helps you manage your time better
- Comes with a productive time tracker
- Has workflow templates to help you get started
- You can connect Zoom but cannot connect Microsoft Teams (as of now)
- Pricing can be a bit costlier for small businesses
- G2: 4.6/5
- Capterra: 4.7/5
- GetApp: 4.7/5
TimeHero has a free trial for a week. Then, you can choose to upgrade to any of their paid plans:
- Basic ($5/month)
- Professional ($12/month)
- Premium ($27/month)
With countless people organizing their life with Any.do, it is one of the most prestigious platforms not only for creating to-do lists but for creating neat timeboxing schedules to set you up for a perfect day.
Unlike many alternatives, Any.do makes you purely accountable for your tasks.
The Any.do shortcuts help create reminders, assign something to a person, assign a particular day, etc effortlessly.
You can track your most favorite projects by bookmarking them, prioritizing the projects according to their level of importance, delegating the tasks, and much more all for free.
The drag and drop feature interface makes it easy, even for a newbie, to easily blend in with the ecosystem.
If you are looking to timebox your schedule with minimal effort from your side, then you can give Any.do a solid try.
- Any.do’s minimalist UI followed by easy-to-use specialties will make you fall in love with the app from the first glance.
- You can connect Any.do with Google Calendar, Dropbox, Amazon Alexa, etc, within a few clicks.
- No matter whether you use a Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, or iOS, they have got you covered everywhere. Even in the apple watches.
- With their keyboard shortcuts, you can save a truckload of time while creating your timeboxing schedule or anything else.
- If you go with their ‘Pro’ or a ‘Business’ plan, you get a lot of additional cool features such as customizing the theme as per your mood, alerting yourself regarding any high priority task, etc.
- Highly used and supported by millions.
- One of the most easy-to-use timeboxing apps.
- Premium plans are way affordable for anyone serious out there.
- Integrate with various apps, browsers, and other devices seamlessly.
- Not specifically built keeping in mind the concept of timeboxing.
- Free users are limited to restricted features.
Google Play: 4.7/5
Besides the lifetime free plan offered by Any.do, their Pro plan starts at as low as $3 per month when billed annually. Similarly, the Business plan starts from $5.
10. Time Doctor
Time Doctor fixes the health of your time management issues.
If you are working as a solopreneur, a manager for the company, or even a gigantic organization, Time Doctor can slow down the time for you.
This is the first Timeboxing tool I have ever seen in my life that focuses very much on the customer’s safety and security, just like Apple.
This is the main reason millions around the world trust and use Time Doctor to gain peak performance and better control over their time.
Although the core focus of this tool is on improving employee productivity, you can also use Time Doctor as a perfect supplement to your timeboxing deep hours.
The best thing about Time Doctor is their screen monitoring features.
Let’s say, for example, you face issues focusing on a critical task for a specified period. In this case, you can find an accountability partner (a friend, family member, etc) who can monitor your screen from their devices and eventually give you feedback.
This will not only help you stay concentrated during your focus hours but also help you in completing your goals quicker than you thought.
- Time Doctor is a professionally designed time tracking tool. There are no questions about ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ related to its usage.
- It has the highest and most useful features specifically designed to maximize your output (Screen monitoring, Time tracking, Productivity hours reports, Distraction alerts, etc).
- It is an easy-to-use tool with in-built security to protect your privacy.
- Even if you are offline, Time Doctor helps you track your progress.
- Easily integrates with over 65 apps.
- Tracks chores as well as important tasks independently.
- Best customer support in the market.
- Webcam picture capability can sometimes concern an individual’s privacy.
- Unlike its competitors, it does not provide lifetime free plans to its users.
- The user interface could be improved.
Trust Radius: 8/10
Unfortunately, Time Doctor does not have a forever free plan. Nevertheless, they do provide a free trial for certain days.
Their premium plans are divided into three categories:
- Basic ($7/month for 1 user)
- Standard ($10/month for 1 user)
- Premium ($20/month for 1 user)
If you are working in a team that consists of multiple members, then you can select a customized plan as per the number of employees working under/with you and cost will be incurred accordingly.
Toggl is a timeboxing app that allows you to track your time and work more efficiently. It has a simple, clean interface that makes it easy to use, and it’s packed with features that can help you get more done in less time.
With Toggl, you can start and stop timers with just a few clicks, and see how much time you’ve spent on each task.
You can also set up recurring timers for tasks that you do regularly, so you don’t have to keep starting and stopping them manually.
Toggl also lets you track your productivity over time, so you can see how well you’re doing and identify areas where you could improve.
And if you need to collaborate with others, Toggl has a team-based feature that lets you share timers and see how everyone is doing.
The great automatic time tracking with classical features like the Pomodoro timer, productive dashboard, and detailed reports make Toggl a valuable tool for anyone who wants to be more productive.
- Simple, clean interface
- Start and stop timers with just a few clicks
- Set up recurring timers
- Track your productivity over time
- Team-based collaboration features
- Integrates with over 100 apps
- Great way to keep track of your time and work more efficiently.
- Simple, clean interface that makes it easy to use.
- Recurring timers to make life easier.
- Team collaboration features are fantastic.
- None that we could find!
- G2: 4.6/5
- GetApp: 4.7/5
- TrustRadius: 9/10
Toggl offers a completely free plan and also a 30-day free trial for all the premium plans. The Starter plan costs $10/month/member while the Premium plan costs $20/month/member.
TickTick is a highly popular to-do and time tracking app used by celebrities ranging from MKBHD to gigantic sites such as the LifeHacker.
Just like the name, TickTick is unique in what they offer. They are not just a copycat of a typical to-do app.
Some of the features offered by TickTick are not available elsewhere.
Besides offering features such as natural language parsing, assigning due dates, and drag and drop, TickTick also comes up with totally distinct features such as white noises (music to focus on) and Pomodoro timer, all within the app.
There is also a section for achievements where it rewards you with a badge and confetti every time you reach certain milestones.
The sections for summary and statistics are also portrayed cleanly and elegantly. A pie chart helps you better understand your performance and how you can improve them.
- Built with features that make your life easier. Some of those features include voice input, mobile widgets, location reminders, mentioning task duration, natural language processing, etc.
- Smart lists, super-specific filters, tags, multi-priority, searching, and sorting make the app very friendly and enjoyable to use.
- You can view all the different calendars in one place. Thanks to color coding, it will never confuse you.
- TickTick comes with a lot of white noises that set your mood and environment.
- Customized filters and priority labels help you focus on crafting an excellent timeboxing schedule.
- One-stop tool for calendar, time-tracking, and to-dos.
- Reminders are not as effective as those of Google calendar.
- Features such as white noises, Pomodoro timer, and reminders for specific items are not available in the free plan.
Trust Radius: 8.9/10
For the premium plan of TickTick, you need to pay at least $27.99 per year, which is less than $2.4 per month.
Pen & Paper
Lastly, if you are someone who likes to journal and arrange important ideas in a physical book rather than typing, then creating a timeboxing schedule with your hand on plain paper can be another way to go.
The good thing about this is that you have complete control over your design, system, and process.
While the negative of maintaining your calendar on a book is that you will have to put higher effort every day unless you buy a calendar book that does half the job for you.
I have seen many of my friends creating their daily study and extracurricular activity timetables on a book rather than preserving it digitally.
Finally, it all depends on the choices and preferences of an individual.
That’s It From Me
This is all about the best Timeboxing tools and apps.
Honestly, there are tons of productivity tools out there, and choosing from infinite becomes a huge problem.
To solve that problem, we have curated a list of the 12 best timeboxing applications that you can rely on.