Gumroad is a fantastic platform to start selling your digital products.
You can begin selling simple products with no fees on this platform.
However, Gumroad isn’t for everybody.
Some people find Gumroad limiting or not fit for their needs.
So in this blog post, you’ll learn the 12 best Gumroad alternatives you can use to sell your digital goods.
There are both free and paid options.
So if that sounds interesting, then keep on reading.
Podia is the #1 alternative to Gumroad in my opinion.
Like most other eCommerce platforms mentioned in this article, this one is extremely easy to use. You can set up your store in minutes and start selling all your digital goods in one place.
I also like Podia because it has fantastic built-in apps. For example, unlike many other platforms, this one comes with a messaging widget, making customer service more convenient.
Also, it has terrific customer support!
The agents are very responsive and thorough, making it one of the best customer support you’ll ever see. The only problem with it is that there’s only live chat support, nothing else.
However, if you want to promote your product and create a sales pitch for your online courses, then you’ll need a third-party sales funnel builder.
- On-page live chat allows you to help out your customers in a conversational manner.
- Podia Embeds helps you sell your products anywhere in a matter of seconds.
- Good Customer Support
- Ease of Use
- Great Built-In Apps
- A need for 3rd Party Sales Funnel Builder
Starting our list is Sellfy.
This platform is an incredible place to sell your digital goods, whether it’s a simple e-book or complex business software.
For starters, what I love about this platform is how easy it is to use. You should have your website set up and ready to take on orders in just an hour.
What I also like about Sellfy are the fantastic built-in marketing tools. You have everything from the basics like coupon codes to more advanced ones like a built-in upselling, email marketing and cart-abandonment.
- Sell any product you want: digital, print on demand, physical, or even subscriptions.
- Build a beautiful storefront in just five minutes.
- Embed your products to your website, social media, or anywhere else.
- Ease of Use
- Great Built-In Marketing Tools
- Embeddable Product Cards
- No free plans
- Limited Customizability
Samcart is a fantastic checkout software to sell your digital or even physical products.
That’s for many reasons.
One of them is just because of how easy it is to build your product pages. That’s because it comes with a simple drag-and-drop website builder.
This means you should be ready with your website in just a matter of minutes.
Additionally to that, this platform also comes with some fantastic integrations.
One of the most notable ones is Zapier!
With Zapier, you can connect to thousands of other apps and create automations to make your work simpler than it has ever been.
Another thing that you’ll love about SamCart is the many payment methods it supports.
For example, you could create monthly subscriptions, upgrade plans for your courses, and so much more.
- Samcart’s digital wallets allow you to make payments with Apple Pay, Google Pay, and more.
- Use Zapier integration to build automations with other apps to boost your productivity.
- Live onboarding helps you solve problems and take your business to the next level.
- Easy Drag and Drop Builder
- Great Payment Modules for Your Products
- Great Integrations
- Lack of Design Options
Continuing down the list is SendOwl. A very similar software to Gumroad.
This platform aims to be an all-in-one platform to help you sell your digital products. And mostly, it succeeds at it.
For starters, setting up your store with it is extremely easy.
You can do it in just a few minutes. And once it’s set up, it’s easy to manage it thanks to its clean and easy-to-use interface.
But that’s not all it offers. One of my favorite things about SendOwl is how many different marketing tools you have at your disposal.
You can easily create one-click upsells and send cart abandonment emails.
One notable feature of marketing is that you can set up your very own Affiliate Network.
That way, you could build an army of sellers promoting your product to thousands of people without you doing any work.
- Create a checkout process with the same language and currency your customer speaks.
- Flexible payment options help you increase your sales.
- An affiliate marketing system allows you to build an army of sellers without you lifting a finger.
- Ease of Use
- Great Marketing Tools
- Built-In Affiliate Marketing System
- Lack of Support
Shopify is one of the most popular eCommerce platforms.
It is much more customizable and robust compared to Gumroad.
Since Shopify is so popular, thousands of themes are available, both free and paid. And as an added benefit, you can also install apps to add extra functionality to your store.
Plus, it also has a built-in blog. This is great as you can use it to educate your customers about your products or update what you’re working on.
That could increase your monthly payments drastically. Other than that, Shopify is just excellent.
- Shopify Experts can help you get a professional-looking store ready in a matter of days.
- Social Media Integrations help you start selling on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and more.
- Shopify Compass teaches you about selling online through webinars, video series, and much more.
- Thousands of Additional Apps and Themes
- Built-In Blog
- Key features are only available through third-party apps.
Next up is WooCommerce.
Just like Shopify, this is a prevalent eCommerce platform. That’s mainly due to it being open-source and free.
You only need hosting with WordPress, and you’re good to go.
And due to its popularity, it shares the same benefit as Shopify – It’s highly customizable. You can find thousands of free and paid themes that make your store unique to you.
Additionally, this platform comes with some great advanced features!
For example, you could simplify your taxes by making WooCommerce calculate them for you automatically.
And if you get orders from the U.S., WooCommerce can automatically print USPS labels from your dashboard.
The only drawback is, that you will need a WordPress website to use WooCommerce. It doesn’t come as a standalone SaaS.
- WooCommecre Marketplace comes with hundreds of free and paid extensions that enhance your store.
- Jetpack helps secure your site with authenticated customer logins, prevent spam, and increase speed.
- WooCommerce blocks let you display your products in a modular way.
- Advanced features
- Tons of great themes & customizability
- Difficult for First Time Users
- Lack of Support
7. Lemon Squeezy
Want a simpler alternative to Gumroad?
Well, why not give Lemon Squeezy a try!
As the name might suggest, it tries to make selling digital products easy-peasy.
And it does that very well.
They started this by making it extremely easy to get started. You can start selling your digital files in just a matter of minutes.
Also, Lemon Squeezy comes with many payment models, some that other platforms on this list don’t have.
For example, in addition to your regular fixed payments and monthly subscriptions, you could also create “pay what you want donations.”
- Create an Online Store without knowing how to code or design.
- Create Lead Magnets to gain attention and grow your email subscribers.
- Create beautiful invoices with just a few clicks.
- Easy to Get Started
- Unique Payment Models
- Very few integrations
Continuing down the list is Payhip!
Just like Lemon Squeezy, this platform also looks to make it as easy to start selling as possible. And it does that in a couple of ways.
For example, it’s extremely easy to integrate this with your website. All you need is a few hours, and you’re ready.
After that, managing your store is effortless, thanks to the simple interface.
It will also take care of a few things for you. For example, you won’t have to worry about EU tax compliance as it will automatically calculate it for you.
And to top it all off, you don’t need to pay a penny for this platform. The only difference between the paid and free plans is how much you pay for the transaction fee.
All you need to do is pay the 5% transaction fee.
However, there’s one flaw that I want you to know about. That disadvantage is their communication.
One of the most complained about things about this service is that the platform randomly deletes your account.
That’s mainly because people try to resell digital goods, which is against their terms of service.
However, they could have at least warned people when some mistakes were made.
But if you’re selling original goods, this platform is a fantastic option.
- Sell your digital work or create memberships.
- Payhip will automatically handle EU VAT.
- EU VAT automatically handled
- Ease of Use
- No Monthly Subscriptions
- Lack of Communication
If WooCommerce and Shopify weren’t your cups of tea, then Bigcommerce might be your answer.
That is yet another fantastic eCommerce platform to build your store for digital goods.
The first reason why I love this platform is that, unlike Shopify, this one lets you have as many staff accounts as you want, no matter the plan you choose.
However, that’s not all. This platform is even more attractive because it also doesn’t take any transaction fees. That means you’ll have more money that gets into your pocket.
And to top it all off, this platform also has a built-in blog. That makes it great for SEO purposes and keeping customers updated on what you and your business are doing.
- With Bigcommerce’s native customer groups feature, you can send personalized messages and offers to customers.
- The intuitive drag-and-drop solution helps you to create your website with ease.
- Pick from the 65 payment gateway interactions with no BigCommerce transaction fees.
- Unlimited Staff Accounts
- Built-in Blog
- No Transaction Fees
- Limited Sales on Monthly Plans
This one is one of the most unique Gumroad alternatives there is.
That’s mostly to do with it isn’t an eCommerce platform. Instead, this is a payments infrastructure, but we had to mention it here since it does its work so well!
For starters, I love how many different payment models it has. You could do monthly payment plans, metered billing, or just fixed one-time payments.
But that’s not all. One of its unique features is its tax compliance and fraud detection tools.
With them, you won’t have to worry about the VAT any longer, due to calculating all of it, no matter where the sale is made.
Or even if someone tries to steal from you.
And guess what?
You won’t have to pay a penny for all of this. The only thing is that it will take a 5% fee from every transaction.
- Tax & Compliance makes sure you won’t have to worry about calculating sales taxes.
- Upsell Insights helps you identify opportunities to grow your average cart value.
- No Monthly Subscriptions
- Tax Compliance & Fraud Detection Tools
- Many Payment Models
- Difficult to Integrate
E-Junkie is a versatile e-commerce platform. You can use it for almost any type of digital download, from e-books and audio music to video courses and digital art.
For as low as $40, you can build your storefront, set up payment workflows, add protection and sell unlimited products. It integrates smoothly with your website and offers purchase links to attach product links to your social media posts and blogs.
It also has plenty of promotional tools, such as an affiliate program, freebie copy links, and bundles. You can even generate product codes and paste them on physical cards for offline selling.
- With landing pages, a custom shopping cart, and thank you page, you can deliver an excellent checkout experience.
- Integrate with your Zapier, accounting software, and shipping services to facilitate payments.
- Get free access to its marketplace to increase the visibility of your products.
- Online and offline digital selling
- Shop Demo
- No transaction fees
- Comparatively fewer reviews to make a well-informed decision.
12. Ko-Fi Shop
And lastly, we have a Ko-Fi shop.
That is the most accessible platform to start selling your digital goods.
That’s because it’s effortless and quick to start selling there. That’s mostly to do with how you can upload your products. All you need to do is:
- Write down your product title
- Pick Product Type – Digital/Physical
- Add description, images, and price
- And you’re done!
Ko-Fi says that this could be completed in just 60 seconds!
But the benefits don’t end there. One of the best things about this platform is how little they charge you.
You can start for free and sell as much as you want. The only fee they take is 5% off every order.
- Sell any product with a link
- Ko-Fi keeps everything in the same place! That includes your content, subscriptions, commissions, and everything else
- With Ko-Fi, you can open your shop in just 60 seconds.
- Free Plan Available
- Easy to Use
- No Listing Fees
- No Customization
And those were the best Gumroad alternatives.
Each of them is a fantastic place to sell anything digital, whether it’s e-books, online courses, or music.
All you have to do is pick the one that works for you the best.